- Archives’ Reading Room and Reserved Area (2nd Floor)
- Book Loan
- General Reading Room - Library (1st Floor)
- Reader’s Card
You may order a maximum of five books by each user.
- Borrowing periods:
- General Reading Room: scientific and technical works (7 days); literature and non-technical / scientific books (30 days);
- Children’s/Juvenile Room: 5 works (30 days);
- Tiflológico Fund (braille documents and audio books/technology for users with hearing and/or vision loss): a maximum of 2 works (15 days).
- The loan is always per person.
Fill in one application form request:
a) Each reader may request a maximum of 3 at a time (soft-cover, set of original documents, book, box, folder, microfilm);
b) Every document must correspond to one request form. However, if you’re asking for sequential documents (for example: Books 1, 2 and 3) filling in only one application from request is enough;
c) Once correctly filled it should be delivered directly at the reading room help-desk;
d) Regardless the number of applications form requests, the reader may take a maximum of three units at a time (soft-cover, set of original documents, book, box, folder, microfilm), in order to avoid the accumulation of documents on the desk;
e) If you plan to continue to consult the same documents in the following day, please inform the service’s technicians. After three consecutive days, its’ necessary to fill in a new application form request. If you only wish to consult the Reference Collection available in the reading room, there’s no need of filling in a request.
f) If the reader wishes to continue accessing the same documents on the following day, please inform the Reading Room’s technician. After 3 days of continuous access, it’s necessary to fill in a new request. It’s not necessary to fill in an application form to access and consult the Reference Collection available in the reading room;
It’s strictly forbidden to consult documents in the following situations:a) Documents species in poor conditions marked with a red ball in the IDD’s List – indicate species in poor condition that are out of consultation;
- Documentation undergoing through cleaning, still under restoration and preservation procedures or incorporation processes;
- Alternative availability (Microfilmed or scanned species ) marked with a blue ball in the IDD’s List;
- Species which require restrict consultation for legal or contractual obligation;
In person: Cash, or cheque in euros payable to the order of IGCP, E.P.E – Instituto de Gestão da Tesouraria e do Crédito Público;
From out of the country: Prepayment in euros is mandatory according to the following options: in cash, money order and bank transfer or by cheque;
- Cash or Money order: Send to the following address – Arquivo Regional e Biblioteca Pública da Madeira (ABM), Caminho dos Álamos n.º 35, Santo António, 9020-064 Funchal;
- Interbank transfer: Deposit made to the account of Governo Regional da Madeira with transfer costs payable by the depositor:
IBAN: PT 50078101120000000825056; Bank code: SWIFT /BIC – IGCPPTPL; It’s mandatory to submit to the ABM the evidence and date of transfer to: firstname.lastname@example.org; ABM will satisfy the request after confirmation of transfer by the Treasury of the Regional Government;
- Cheque: to the order of IGCP, E.P.E. – Instituto de Gestão da Tesouraria e do Crédito Público (preferably with no date). Please send it to the following address: Arquivo Regional e Biblioteca Pública da Madeira, Caminho dos Álamos n.º 35, Santo António, 9020-064 Funchal.
Alert: all incoming checks from outside the Portuguese territory take about one month to be processed, Treasury of the Regional Government has to ensure its payment. For this reason, we warn you that in this situation, it may take more than one month to satisfy your request. We recommend the use of transfer instead of cheque.
a) Consult the available tools online;
b) By letter, email, fax or directly at ABM’s website;
c) Research has costs and is made exceptionally and accordingly to the service’s availability; only initial research on ABM’s databases and IDD’s List is free of charge;
d) Requests for documents transcripts will be replied according to the service’s availability. These requests must be done by email or letter. If there is no availability, the request will be forwarded to the Investigators/Researchers programme.
Please, check ABM’s price list.
How may I know if the book/document I wish to consult is part of the Library collection/database?
Please use ABM’s research tools:
- a) Documentary Description Instruments (IDD’s) and corresponding index – in front of the reading room help-desk and at the local PC;
- b) Images Archive (including parish/birth and marriage records, newspapers collections, Postcards, Photographs and Iconography, among others) – consult the reading room’s PCs;
- c) Databases – consult the reading room’s PCs;