ABM fulfills a public duty in matters of certificates and legalized registrations of its documents, namely:
The Arquivo Regional e a Biblioteca Pública da Madeira (ABM) pays a civil service of certification and registration endorsement of the documentary funds under its supervision and trusteeship.
- Parish registrations and conservatory archives: baptisms (1538-1911), marriages (1539-1962); obits (1538-1982)
- Notary offices (1694-2002)*
- Judicial archives (1544-1980)*
- Finance bureaus’ registrations (mainly real-state and inheritance duties procedures)
The issuance of certificates complies with the general consultation restrictions established in ABM’s Regulations and Work Instructions on how to access archive’s records.
- Directly at ABM: Monday to Friday: 9:30am to 5:00pm (open at lunch time)
- By post or e-mail:
Caminho dos Álamos, nº 35, Santo António, 9020-064 Funchal
- Prices may vary depending on the order (e.g. a simple copy or a legal/certificate have different prices).
- Digital copies of the certificates are also issued. This means less bureaucracy and electronic dispatch of the certificate. This new service does not change any values in the existing ABM’s price list. The digital signatures are officially approved by the Portuguese Law by decree No.62/2003 (April 3rd), described at number 2 of the 3rd article, and in articles 4th, 5th and 7th. This is also approved and accepted by all country members of the European Union according to the European directive 1999/93/CE (article 4, number 2) of December 13th.
Please help us locate the document you need by providing with the as much information as possible: e.g. – if you require a baptism certificate, you shall inform ABM on the person’s complete name, parents names, approximated date of birth and the parish where the baptism was celebrated. For further information, please read more about it in our databases.