Madeira Regional Archives and Public Library (=ABM) is the result of Law act number 50/2016 which, on February the 19th 2016, merged Madeira Regional Archives and Regional Public Library in one single institution.
Considering that the former institutions were essential to elevate our Region and have strongly dignified Madeira, here is an overlook at some their main key moments:
Arquivo Regional e Biblioteca Pública da Madeira
1931 – The Law decree No. 19.952 of June 27th establishes Funchal District Archives. On July 30th the Law decree No. 20.690 firms its effective rules and defines the former State District Council of Funchal (=Junta Geral do Distrito Autónomo do Funchal) as the general administrator, although technically dependent on the General Inspection for Libraries and Archives. Its first director was João Cabral do Nascimento who together with Álvaro Manso de Sousa founded the “Arquivo Histórico da Madeira” Magazine, the first informative support of Funchal District Archives.
1932/1933 – In January, the District Archives is inaugurated at the Palácio da Encarnação (Rua de Santa Luzia). A year later is relocated to the Palácio de São Pedro (Rua da Mouraria).
1980 – Following the implementation of the Autonomy Regime in Madeira, the Law decree No. 287 / 80 of August 16th, transfers to the Autonomous Region of Madeira the supervision of the District Archives, which will be from now on termed Arquivo Regional da Madeira (=Madeira Regional Archives), Regional Secretary’s Office of Tourism and Culture, through the Regional Direction of Cultural Affairs.
1998 – The Regional Legislative Decree No. 9/98 of May 22nd, establishes that the Arquivo Regional da Madeira is the institution in charge and responsible for the Region’s Archives policies, management and procedures.
1999 – A new approach in terms of dialogue and support to the government services is reinforced with the publication of Law decree No.26/99/M of August 27, which defines and regulates the management of documents held by Madeira’s Governmental Departments and agencies under its supervision. 2000 – The “Arquivo Histórico da Madeira” magazine is divided in two new series: Parishes’ Records Index and Passports Index. A guidance which has been extended in the following years.
2000 – On the 14th of December goes online the 1st webpage of the Arquivo Regional da Madeira, with access to all parochial records databases.
2004 – On the 17th of September is inaugurated the new and modern building of the Arquivo Regional da Madeira e Biblioteca Pública Regional, located at Caminho dos Álamos, Santo António, close to the University of Madeira.
2008 – The Arquivo Regional da Madeira obtains the Quality Management System Certification, set by NP EN ISO 9001:2000.
Regional Public Library
1979 – The Contemporaneous Documentation Room is created, working at Rua dos Ferreiros, in Funchal, in the same building, where the Regional Department of Cultural Affairs operates. Its founder and first director was Sara Maria de Portugal.
1982 – This library is admitted to the Legal Depot according to the Law decree No. 74/82 of May 3rd.
2002 – The Library of Contemporaneous Documentation assumes the coordination and management of the Regional Public Libraries’ Network, according to the Law decree No. 15/2002/M of August 13th.
2003 – The Regional Law decree number 14/2003/M, of May 23rd institutes the Public Regional Library, replacing the Library of Contemporaneous Documentation.
2004 – Regional Public Library changes its address to a new building located at Caminho dos Álamos, Santo António, nearby the University of Madeira.
2015 – Diffusion of the online Madeiran Libraries’ Catalogue, a cooperative project that grants access to the library collections of several libraries in the Region